Monday, February 11, 2013

This Is Love

I layer: fleece wrap sweater, Scott has taken to calling my "housecoat", (I've removed for no long duration since November unless forced). My Patagonia down vest zipped to the top, winter hat, large pashmina wrapped once around my neck, once over my head (as I've taken to doing this winter for our long walks).  Today I top this with Scott's brilliant kelly green raincoat.

I slip Frannie's coat on her, she hesitates, just a moment, but submits as she well knows this surely means an adventure.  We head out, off to Parson's Beach.  Frannie expresses her excitement as always (ear piercing whines and wimpers on the verge of "shrills" of excitement, LOTS of yawning, sounds even a mother can barely tolerate).

We pull down one of my most favorite roads in Southern Maine, Parsons Beach Road.  The road is lined with 100+ year old Norway Maple trees and is simply beautiful in every season.

Photo by: Nancy Cooper Funk

The foul weather ensures we will have the beach to ourselves.  The wind whips as soon as I get out of the car, the rain not driving thank goodness, just a heavy sprinkle.  We take the path over the dunes and onto the beach, an incredible on shore breeze blows steadily.  I pull my hood tighter, my pashmina up over my left cheek as we head south down the sand.

After a surprisingly short time my body warms up from the brisk exercise and I grow more comfortable, pleased now I dared to come out for our daily meditation.  Frannie appears to not have noticed the raw weather at all, she rips back and forth and across the sand, then slowly stalking the seagulls and sandpipers then she chases them at mach speed as they take safety from flight.

I reflect... at the start of the walk I thought to myself, this is love, (I'm taking this dog out in this lousy weather just 'cause I know she loves it and yearns for it).  Heading back to the car after a peaceful, mindful walk in the fresh air, I once again find myself thinking, this IS love.


The warriors.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment