Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Super Smart!


Despite the fact until recently at two years old Frannie has refused to learn the simple command, "lay down" after mastering tasks like bird hunting, catching frisbees in her teeth, hugging and running thru a tunnel, she apparently exudes some skills I had taken for granted.

We showed up for our second to last agility class to find we were the only "duo" to show! Its been perplexing to me to see our class numbers dwindle.  Having started with only (4) sets of people:dog, after 1st class, down to 3 sets, then down to 2 a couple weeks ago, and then just us left standing!? Have we scared everyone away? (Oh my anxiety is kicking in!)

Having the trainer and course to ourselves was fun but I have to admit I like watching the other owners and dogs struggle, learn and succeed at our common goals.  So a bit lonely!

The trainer, Merri Button (love that!) did chat with me more than normal and asked if I had thought about taking "agility" to a more serious level (as this is just "backyard agility" focused on fun more than building a foundation for competition).  I guffawed and said I hadn't even considered it!  She complimented Frannie on her obtained focus on me in the last few weeks and her natural interest and ability and said she was actually, "very good"! HA- Oh my...what will be next for our duo?!

"Graduation" is next week (not kidding), so we'll get thru that, you know how stressful your child's graduation can be right (?) We'll then consider what our next step may be.  I fear it's the trainer/owner who may NOT be the one with natural ability and certainly NO interest in "performing" where anyone is watching me, not a role I've ever been comfortable in!



No comments:

Post a Comment